Clicking on the photos will enlarge them :)

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Mystery Seeds.....Can You Help Me? A Photo Added

I just found this photo on the internet, it looks very close to the flower from these mystery seeds. Like I said I have one sprouting and am having a fit to see what it looks like!
Abelmoschus Manihot, Hibiscus Sunset, Flowering Okra.......those hairy thorns I was talking about do remind me of the Okra and I HATE Okra.

As most of you know my Mom passed away over 5 years ago, everytime I go visit my Dad I see something new in the flower gardens that my Mom had. This past summer I saw this beautiful yellow flower from the back porch. While I was walking up to it to check it out, (looking for seeds of course) I was thinking that's a great Hibiscus. When I approached it I saw little briar looking thorns all over the stems and the seed pods that had already dried. I had to carefully gather some seed pods. Anyway this is what I have from the plant. It does have the sections like a Hibiscus where you harvest the seeds from. Can you see the hairy briars?





I thought maybe it might be a Mallow? Don't have a clue why that popped in my head unless it's something I heard my Mom say. Anyway the flower is a very pretty yellow, grows kind of tall and has these hairy briars, anyone have an idea of what I might search for? Oh yeah, I have one of these seeds just sprouting in a pot on the table. I'll post that when it's a little bigger, can ID alot of plants by the leaves. I couldn't wait though.


Let's not forget the 1 million people without electricity, I'm sure some of our blogger friends have been affected. The news reported it could be the middle of February before power is restored for some of these homes. PRAY!

19 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

It looks familiar somehow to me but I can't put a name to it. Sorry! I would plant the seeds and be surprised. :)

Shelley said...

I'm looking forward to the answer since I'm no help! And please add my prayers to yours for everyone without power or affected by our weather!

tina said...

I am with Racquel, can't quite figure it out. Maybe acontifolium or baptisia? Don't have a clue.

I left a note for you on the sweet autumn clematis, but want to tell you here. I think the seeds need stratification. Do you have seeds? If not and you'd like some, do email me and I think I can go get a whole bunch of them and send them to you. You would then just sprinkle them in the garden or pots (since they are stratified) and they should germinate readily. Right now there is ice on them but it will thaw soon and I'll dry them. Just let me know. ttyl

Susie said...

I think it is a type of hibiscus. I searched the internet just now and found a pod similar to that. The website is www.asgap.org.au/h-pen.html. Your pod may not be this particular one but I'd say yours is a hibiscus.

Anonymous said...

The middle of February! Oh man, I sure hope not. My heart goes out to them. I hope it doesn't take that long.

I wish I could help about those seeds. It kind of looks familiar. Won't it be fun though to plant it and see what sprouts?
:-)

Terrie's Lil' Piece of Serenity said...

I am not sure. I wish I could help. We'll look forward to watching it grow!

Peggy said...

Hi darla, the dlower looks like a mallow but not the thorny bit!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful flower Darla! Mallow sounds right, looks like one to me.

Tootsie said...

I am going to say that I would think it is in the hibiscus family
the seed pods are also similar to those of the columbine I have in my garden...but the leaves on the plant are not the same...it is worth a try to see?
sorry I am no help today

My Mother's Garden said...

Hi Darla~

My guess is that it's in the mallow family. Good luck...it sure is pretty!

Anonymous said...

It looks like a mallow or hollyhock or something of that nature to me too Darla but of course, I don't know for sure! I hope you can figure it out. How fun to keep finding new flowers in your Mom's garden.

Leedra said...

It is in the Hibiscus family, as is okra and Rose of Sharon. Beyond that, it is beyond me. :)

Leedra’s Photos For Fun

Leedra’s Greeting Cards

Photography By Leedra

George said...

I'm sorry I can't help you identify the mystery seeds, but I will certainly join you in prayer for those affected by the storm.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Darla, Like George, I have no idea what your mystery is!!!! Keep us posted on this one...

I know it's neat though to bring some of your mother's flowers home with you. I'm sure you have plenty of hers!!! She's smiling down you know!!!!

Prayers from me too about all of those people without electricity.
Hugs,
Betsy

Connie said...

My guess would be Hibiscus.

Judy said...

My guess would be hollyhock! Can't see the leaves, and that might help. Although the seed pods look like the ones I gathered from my mother's rose of sharon!
But I do like the colour.

Lavender and Vanilla Friends of the Gardens said...

Darla, this plant belongs to the Malvacea, like a cotton plant.
Malvacea come in lots of different colours.

bedroom furniture said...

Yellow flower so very nice and beautiful and nice garden shared on the site so that can be know that and enjoy it in this flower. There are different and enjoyable garden shared on the site.